The asthma is a chronic inflammatory disease of the airways involving several processes which hyperreactivity of the bronchi, local inflammation and thickening of the bronchial walls accompanied by mucus formation (= pus) and bronchoconstriction, that is to say a decrease in the diameter of the bronchi. On the occasion of an asthma attack , the bronchi contract, then develop a edema decreasing their diameter. The bronchi become clogged and prevent air from circulating.
What are the causes of asthma?
Allergy is one of the main causes of asthma . These may include allergies to pollens, dust, mites, animal hair, mold, etc. In addition, tobacco is an aggravating factor.
What are the symptoms of asthma?
– Can go from shortness of breath to severe respiratory failure. The crisis occurs most often in the evening or at night.
– Dry coughing
– The breathing becomes sibilant and difficult
– Increased perspiration
– Acceleration of heartbeat
The different treatments for asthma:
Asthma is not cured, but effective treatments allow people with asthma to live normally.
Pharmacological treatments for asthma:
– Short – acting and fast acting bronchodilator drugs are prescribed to relieve an asthma attack or cough episodes, minor counterparts of asthma . Their duration of action is four to six hours.
Long-acting bronchodilator medications are increasingly being prescribed as a daily background treatment.
– Inhaled corticosteroids: are anti-inflammatory drugs with a bronchial aim. It should be prescribed as soon as the asthma becomes persistent and the person in difficulty has to take more than 4 puffs of bronchodilators a week.
– Steroids in the form of tablets: during severe attacks or when asthma worsens during bronchitis, for example, corticosteroid medications in the form of tablets are prescribed. In this case, it is associated with long-term inhaled corticosteroid treatment and long-acting bronchodilator.
– Antileukotrienes: used in the form of tablets, they are useful in the prevention of stress asthma and also in the background treatment of asthma incompletely controlled by inhaled corticosteroids.
Alternative treatments to fight against asthma:
– The resin of Boswellia serrata : it restores the bronchial mucosa in its integrity and in its function, proceeds likewise at the respiratory level and improves osteoarthritis rheumatism! In general, manufacturers recommend taking 4 to 6 capsules daily at the beginning, in adults.
– Climbing ivy extract (Hedera helix) : reduces bronchial constriction and promotes the elimination of mucus. It is available in particular under the name of Activox in pharmacy (its dosage varies according to the age), but one can also find it in shop diététique
– Complex formulas are also interesting to improve the allergic terrain as Ribum: anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, antiallergic and analgesic: 1 tbsp. coffee at the time of meals.
Essential oils: bergamot (Citrus bergamia), clove (Eugenia caryophyllata), eucalyptus, fennel (Foeniculum vulgare), rose and thyme (Thymus vulgaris carvacrol).
Taking these HE under medical control is a valuable aid to improve the chronic inflammatory terrain of asthma in a long-lasting and well-tolerated way.
· Complexes are also interesting, such as Respir’aroma although it is oriented towards a use against winter aggressions